The chicken (Gallus domesticus) is a domesticated junglefowl species, with attributes of wild species such as the grey and the Ceylon junglefowl that are originally from Southeastern Asia. Rooster or cock is a term for an adult male bird, and a younger male may be called a cockerel. A male that has been castrated is a capon. An adult female bird is called a hen and a sexually immature female is called a pullet.
Originally raised for cockfighting or for special ceremonies, chickens were not kept for food until the Hellenistic period (4th–2nd centuries BC). Humans now keep chickens primarily as a source of food (consuming both their meat and eggs) and as pets.
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this simple and tasty chicken recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’sOlive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use melted butter instead.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. The cayenne greatly improves the flavor of this dish. It adds a hint of spice without overwhelming the dish. But if you’re not a fan of spicy foods, try using just ⅛ teaspoon (a pinch).
an overview of what you’ll need
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
Serving: 1 drumstick ・ Calories: 254 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 1 g ・ Protein: 23 g ・ Fat: 17 g ・ Sodium: 332 mg ・ Fiber: 1 g
Don’t be afraid to mix up the marinade on these drumsticks. Use the same marinade as our sticky grilled chicken. Skip the soy sauce and add a little extra salt and taco seasoning or go for a sweet bbq profile with bbq sauce, honey, and a little olive oil to thin it out. Add a little heat with sriracha, chili garlic paste, or your favorite hot sauce.
The joy of a marinade is that you can prep the chicken whenever you have the chance and then when you are ready to cook the chicken is too. Make the marinade the night before even and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Bring the chicken out about 30 minutes before you are ready to bake it so it has a little time to come to room temperature. Cooked drumsticks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days. Reheat in the oven to help re-crisp the skin. For an even easier cleanup line your baking tray with foil!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN LEGS RECIPE
- Super crispy skin on the outside, juicy on the inside
- Flavorful and simple spices for seasoning
- Just a few minutes active prep time
- No need to wait for a marinade (there isn’t one!)
- Healthy protein-packed chicken dinner
HOW TO PREPARE CHICKEN LEGS FOR BAKING
Your prep for oven roasted chicken legs is centered around encouraging air circulation to get them crispy.
- Prep the oven and pan. Preheat the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean up!) and place an oven safe rack over the sheet pan. (I like this set – it’s non-stick, so easy to clean.) I prefer foil rather than parchment paper for lining underneath the rack, because it catches the juices more easily.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE CHICKEN LEGS IN THE OVEN?
For average sized drumsticks, I recommend a cook time of 35-45 minutes at 425 degrees, flipping halfway through. The exact time will vary a bit, due to varying oven temperatures as well as drumstick size.
Whether you are cooking chicken legs in the oven or using just about any other method, they should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F; some people prefer 170 degrees F for more tender meat. Either way, here is the meat thermometer I use and recommend.
ARE BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS HEALTHY?
Yes, easy baked chicken legs in oven is a healthy way to cook drumsticks. They are a great source of essential amino acids, and several vitamins and minerals as well. Being higher in fat, drumsticks are a great choice for a keto lifestyle.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN A BAKED CHICKEN LEG?
A baked chicken leg using this recipe has 236 calories, which includes the butter we brush on top. The calorie count will vary based on size.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN IN A CHICKEN LEG?
An average chicken leg has 22 grams of protein, but it will vary a bit depending on their size.
These baked chicken drumsticks really go with almost any side dish you can think of, but you can’t go wrong with some roasted veggies since you are already using the oven anyway. We especially like them with roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower, or roasted green beans. Here are some other suggestions:
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon
- Apple Salad with Candied Walnuts
- Grilled Garlic Bread
- Oven Roasted Barbecue Potato Wedges
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for an hour for more flavor.
- Chicken is done cooking when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a cooking thermometer to ensure chicken is fully cooked.
- You can substitute the Worcestershire sauce in the recipe for soy sauce if you prefer. I typically use whichever I have on hand.
This is the easiest and best way to make great baked chicken. Thoroughly pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels, then coat them with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. We like to add a little fresh chopped rosemary as well, but you can substitute fresh thyme or oregano. Bake the chicken on a wire rack on an aluminum-foil-lined sheet pan so that hot air can circulate, creating crispyWHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It is quick and simple to make and with just five key ingredients, what’s not to love?
- You don’t need to marinatethese chicken drumsticks and that makes it a perfect dinner recipe the whole family would love.
- This recipe is oil-free, it is healthy because it is oven-baked.
- Do you own an air fryer? cool as this chicken cooks faster in the little gadget than it would in the oven. Cook on 180C/365F for 30 minutes Check my air-friedhoney soy drumsticks for inspiration.
skin on all sides of the chicken
HOW TO MAKE EASY OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS RECIPE
This is a simple 3 steps recipe
Preheat the oven at 200C/400F
To a small mixing bowl, combine smoked paprika, mixed herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, then mix together. Coat chicken drumsticks with the dry rub when you are to bake.
Arrange the drumsticks on a baking rack in a single layer over a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray/ olive oil. Alternatively, arrange on a lined baking tray with an aluminium foil or parchment paper.
And bake to perfection. i.e until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS?
These are my favorite ways of serving these delicious, juicy, and flavorful chicken legs. I pair them with this simple spicy couscous (Recipe coming soon)
HOW TO STORE
This recipe is great for meal prep and will remain fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the fridge: make sure the chicken is completely cooled before transferring it to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: simply warm in the microwave for a few seconds, alternatively reheat in the oven at 180C/365F until warm to liking
- If you ask me, on a sheer scale of munchability (new word) chicken drumsticks beats out chicken breasts any old day. I’d rather be grabbing a drumstick with my fingers and chomping that meaty flesh off the bone than daintily nibbling a chicken breast with a knife and fork!
But, maybe that’s just me.
So if you’re in my camp – or actually, even if you’re not (!) – here’s a terrific everyday chicken drumsticks recipe to try. It’s flavoured with a simple, BBQ rub-like seasoning made with just paprika, onion and garlic powder (bet you’ve got all 3 in your pantry!!) bulked out with flour to coat the legs all over.
This recipe was originally published on ANZAC Day in Australia, on 25 April 2018. It’s a day when we commemorate the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (“ANZACs”) who served and sacrificed for our country in the first world war.
Dozer wears an Anzac rosemary sprig on his collar for (most of) the day and we make a donation to the ANZAC Appeal. A very small gesture.
Thank you for staying with this post “cooking chicken drumsticks in oven” until the end.
More Posts :
- what is knowledge work
- is brass a mixture or pure substance
- best potatoes for mashed potatoes
- what percentage of the earth’s freshwater is available for drinking
- what is the next letter? b a d e h g j k
- how to calculate average percentage formula in excel
- how many does a quart feed
- how many grams in an ounce of gold 24k
- william dawes
- can chickens eat oats