Chicken as food
Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world. Owing to the relative ease and low cost of raising chickens—in comparison to mammals such as cattle or hogs—chicken meat (commonly called just “chicken”) and chicken eggs have become prevalent in numerous cuisines.
Chicken can be prepared in a vast range of ways, including baking, grilling, barbecuing, frying, and boiling. Since the latter half of the 20th century, prepared chicken has become a staple of fast food. Chicken is sometimes cited as being more healthful than red meat, with lower concentrations of cholesterol and saturated fat.
The poultry farming industry that accounts for chicken production takes on a range of forms across different parts of the world. In developed countries, chickens are typically subject to intensive farming methods while less-developed areas raise chickens using more traditional farming techniques. The United Nations estimates there to be 19 billion chickens on Earth today, making them outnumber humans more than two to one.
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (trim off excess fat if desired)
- 1 oz. packet ranch seasoning mix
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 8 slices bacon (sliced, cooked and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the ranch seasoning mix. Place the cream cheese on top of the chicken.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Shred the chicken, I do this right in the slow cooker with 2 forks. Stir the cooked cream cheese into the shredded chicken and also stir in the bacon. Spread out into an even layer. Sprinkle over the cheese. Cover for 10 more minutes to allow the cheddar cheese to melt.
Serve over rice and sprinkle over the green onions. Enjoy! Other great ways to serve is over a baked potato or on sandwich rolls.
Can I use chicken breasts in this recipe?
Yes, chicken breast do work with this recipe if you prefer them.
Can I use more than 2 lbs of chicken?
More chicken can be used in this recipe without changing the other ingredients and still will turn out great!
Can I make this spicy?
Use a spicy ranch packet or add 1 jalapeno to this recipe for added spice.
What to serve this with
- Over white rice (my favorite option)
- Eat it as is if you are on a low carb or keto diet
- Over-toasted hamburger buns
- Mashed potatoes
- Inside of baked potatoes
- With crackers; serve as a dip
- Add a salad on the side with any of the above options
How long do I cook?
- Place the lid on the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 7 hours and do not open the lid during the cooking time.
INGREDIENTS FOR CROCK POT CREAMY RANCH CHICKEN
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 oz pkg ranch dressing mix
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened and cubed
- 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- Optional: prepared angel hair pasta
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY RANCH CHICKEN IN A CROCK POT
Place your chicken in the bottom of your crock pot
Evenly put your cream cheese cubes, ranch mix and soup all over your chicken
Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours
Remove your chicken from your crock pot and place on top of a bed of angel hair pasta, if desired
Mix your sauce in your crock pot until smooth and spoon over chicken and pasta
- This recipe has cream of chicken soup in it. If you would rather make your own instead of using the store bought stuff, we have a great Homemade Cream Soup Substitute for Recipes that you might want to check out!
- Since I was changing things up on this recipe and had never tried it before, I definitely wanted my trusty ol’ Sir Hamilton (my Hamilton Beach Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker) to do the cooking for me. A new recipe can give you surprises sometimes, so I wanted my reliable crock pot for sure! You can use your favorite 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- I served this over angel hair pasta with wonderful results. You could eat it without pasta or use your favorite pasta. Make it your own!
- As with any of our recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN (CHEDDAR RANCH CHICKEN)
- 3 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 packets dry ranch seasoning or try my Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- 2 8 ounce cream cheese
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions for garnish
In a slow cooker add the chicken to the bottom. Sprinkle with dry ranch seasoning. Top with cream cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours long.
Shred the chicken with two forks. Top with bacon and sprinkle with cheese. Cover until melted. Serve on buns, over rice and garnish with green onions.