A biscuit is a flour-based baked and shaped food product. In most countries biscuits are typically hard, flat, and unleavened. They are usually sweet and may be made with sugar, chocolate, icing, jam, ginger, or cinnamon. They can also be savoury, similar to crackers. Biscuit may also refer to hard flour-based baked animal feed, as with dog biscuit.
In most of North America, nearly all hard sweet biscuits are called “cookies”, while the term “biscuit” is used for a soft, leavened quick bread similar to a scone – see biscuit (bread).
Types of biscuit include sandwich biscuits, digestive biscuits, ginger biscuits, shortbread biscuits, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate-coated marshmallow treats, Anzac biscuits, biscotti, and speculaas.
Slow Cooker Chicken & Biscuits
for 5 servings
- 3 chicken breasts, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli floret(300 g)
- 2 cups baby carrot(240 g), diced
- 21 oz condensed cream of chicken soup(595 mL)
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit
- Place the chicken in a 7-quart (6 ½ liters) slow cooker. Sprinkle on salt & pepper.
- Add the veggies and condensed soup, and mix thoroughly.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Rip biscuit dough into small pieces, and drop evenly over chicken. Cook an additional hour.
CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND BISCUITS
The best recipes have a combination of textures and flavors. Sometimes slow cooker recipes suffer from lack of both. This recipe solves that problem by a quick sear of the chicken before slow cooking, added seasoning, and using the oven safe CrockPot insert to bake the biscuits right on top.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 22 oz Cream of Chicken soup family size can or two 10 oz cans
- 14.5 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables frozen
- 8 canned biscuits Southern Style Butter preferred
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Heat olive oil in nonstick pan and quickly sear chicken thighs on each side. Transfer chicken thighs to slow cooker. Add butter and onions to pan and cook just until they start to soften, 3-5 minutes. Then transfer onions and butter to slow cooker.
Add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and seasonings to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, remove chicken thighs and shred. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add frozen mixed vegetables and cook for another hour on high.
Preheat oven to 375°. Place biscuit dough on top of chicken and vegetable mixture. Using oven mits, transfer just the CrockPot ceramic insert to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Brush biscuits with mixture of melted butter and garlic powder and sprinkle with parsley.
ARE CROCKPOT INSERTS OVEN SAFE?
Yes, CrockPot branded ceramic inserts are oven safe up to 400° according to the CrockPot website.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
Why You’ll Love This Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Cleanup is so simple! All you’ll have to clean when you’re finished is your crockpot.
- It’s a people-pleaser. You’ll be hard-pressed to find someone, kids or adults alike, who doesn’t love chicken pot pie.
- It’s a very hands-off recipe. Once you’ve added the ingredients to the slow cooker, you don’t have to do anything else until it’s time to shred the chicken.
- It’s a warm, cozy comfort food packed with chicken and veggies.
Equipment For your Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Cutting board
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Chicken Breasts
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Yellow Onion
- Mixed Vegetables
- Salt & Pepper
Add milk, cream of chicken soup, salt, paprika, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, and cornstarch int a 6 quart slow cooker. Stir everything together until well combined.
Add chicken, mixed vegetables, onions, potatoes, celery, and butter to the sauce.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Remove chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken back into the slower cooker and stir until well combined.
During the last 20 minutes of cook time. Bake your biscuits according to the package directions.
Serve while hot with biscuits.
Do I have to use the pre-mixed frozen veggies or can I choose my own?
You can definitely use your own mix of veggies. I’ve just found that all of my favorites for this pot pie recipe are already included in the mix.
Can I use another variation of cream soup?
Of course! Cream of chicken definitely mixes well with the flavors and spices in this pot pie recipe, but you can also use cream of celery or cream of mushroom in yours. It will still be delicious!
Can I use a different kind of biscuits with this pot pie?
Sure, use whichever kind of biscuits are your favorite. You could even use homemade.
Substitutions and Variations
- If you don’t have chicken on hand, you can shred rotisserie chicken and add it into the mix. You can put it in prior to cooking, or closer to when you are ready to eat the pot pie.
- Not a fan of Grands biscuits? I think that they pair well with this recipe, but you could also use frozen brands, such as Mary B’s.
What To Serve/Pair With Your Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- If you would like something extra with your pot pie entree, add a side salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons.
- My favorite dessert pairing with chicken pot pie is a warm apple pie or peach cobbler. There’s something about a fresh cobbler that adds to the comfort food feeling from the pot pie.
Tips For Making the Perfect Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie With Cream of Chicken Soup
- Keep the crockpot closed as long as you can to make sure that all of the flavors soak in properly.
- If your pot pie mixture is done cooking, but you aren’t ready to eat yet, turn your slow cooker to the “warm” setting.
Storing & Reheating Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
If you do have any leftovers, this crockpot chicken pot pie will last in the fridge for 4-5 days. Move the mixture into a sealed container and place it in the fridge once it is completely cooled.
CROCK POT CHICKEN POT PIE
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme (or the leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tube refrigerated biscuit dough (or your favorite homemade biscuit recipe)
Spray the insert of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add carrots, celery, onion, flour, chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Place chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours (or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender). During final 10 minutes of cooking time, remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Take chicken out of the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board. Dice chicken into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in frozen peas and cream. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until peas are heated through.
While the chicken mixture finishes in the slow cooker, bake biscuits in the oven according to package instructions.
Ladle chicken mixture into individual serving bowls and top with biscuits.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Biscuits
- ½ Yellow Onion – Chopped
- 2 ½ Pounds Chicken Breast – Chopped
- Black Pepper – Your choice
- Salt – Your choice
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Celery – Chopped
- 1 Bag Mixed Vegetables – 16 Ounces Frozen
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken – or 2 Small Cans 22.6 Ounces Total (98% Fat Free)
- 24 Ounces Bone Broth – Low Sodium Chicken
- 1 Can Biscuit Dough – 10 Ounces
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese – Grated
Throw a liner in your slow cooker for easy clean up (if you have them)
Add in your Chopped Onion on the bottom
Place your Chopped Chicken Breast on top of your Onion
Add in the rest of your ingredients aside from your Biscuit Dough and Parmesan Cheese
Lightly mix together the ingredients on top of your Chicken
Cook those on High for 3 1/2 hours
Break up your Biscuit Dough into small pieces and add those in (you can mix them in if you want but it’s not needed)
Sprinkle on your Parmesan Cheese
Cook on High for an additional 1 Hour
Thank you for staying with this post “crock pot chicken and biscuits” until the end.