Hi dear friends, solsarin in this article is talking about “french onion chicken crock pot”.
we are happy to have you on our website.
This flavorful Crockpot French Onion Chicken recipe uses only 5 ingredients to make extra juicy chicken smothered in caramelized onion gravy with melted cheese on top! Bonus: it happens to also be a low carb recipe!
Easy Crockpot French Onion Chicken
This Crockpot French Onion Chicken recipe is one that the entire family is going to love. Not only is it super simple with only 5 ingredients, but your crockpot literally takes over and does all the work for you. It is also a low carb recipe with only 10 net carbs per serving. This French Onion Chicken is so easy and packed with great flavor, I know it will go into your weekly dinner rotation!
This recipe came together by what I had in the pantry. I had no idea if it was going to work out, but I knew this recipe was going to be a hit the minute that I started adding in the ingredients and smelled them all cooking. The house filled with such a wonderful smell I just couldn’t wait for it to be done cooking!
We were all sold by how moist and tender this easy chicken recipe was the first time I made it. But to be honest, it was the french onion flavor and melted cheese on top that won me completely over. It’s beyond delicious and going to be an instant family favorite!
What to serve with French Onion Chicken?
There are a lot of options and it depends on if you would like to keep this a low carb meal or not. Here are a few of my favorites!
Low Carb Side Recommendations:
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
- Side Salad
Traditional Side Recommendations:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Crusty Bread (to soak up the sauce)
Just 5 Ingredients
This recipe needs only 5 simple ingredients! You’re going to be very pleased with how easy this chicken dish is to make. Just gather up the ingredients listed below to get started!
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Can condensed french onion soup
- Lipton Onion Soup & Dip Mix
- Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
Can I use another cut of chicken?
Yes! You can use boneless chicken thighs if you have them on hand and prefer to use them, however I personally prefer a large chicken breast instead. It holds up perfectly in the sauce and is easy to transfer to a casserole dish to melt the cheese on top.
I don’t like Swiss cheese, what else can I use?
To keep it most similar to French Onion Soup, I recommend you use a cheese like the classic gruyere cheese. However gruyere cheese can get expensive and isn’t sold in slices, so that’s where Swiss cheese comes in. If you really don’t like Swiss cheese and can’t get gruyere instead, you can also use provolone or mozzarella.
How to make french onion chicken in the crockpot:
Prepare: Spray a large crockpot with nonstick spray. Arrange chicken breast in an even layer on the bottom of the crockpot.
Combine: Layer sliced onions on top of the chicken and sprinkle with Lipton onion soup & dip mix. Pour French onion soup on top and place lid on the slow cooker.
Cook: Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Preheat: Preheat broiler and grease a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Arrange: Remove whole chicken breasts and place them in an oven-safe casserole dish. Scoop out any leftover cooked onions and arrange those on top of the chicken.
Serve: Top each chicken breast with cheese and broil until melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately!
Tips for the best crockpot chicken!
- Don’t skimp on any of the ingredients! Since there are only 5 ingredients in this whole recipe, each one is super important to have correct. Although, if you love cheese, you can always add in more. I’m a firm believer that you can never have too much cheese!
- Do not shred your chicken, keep the breasts whole. If you shred the chicken, it will become too salty. Cooked in the sauce the chicken will have great seasoning and flavor, but if you shred the meat it will absorb too much of the sauce and it will become salty fast!
- Melting the cheese on top makes a big difference to the final dish. It only takes a couple of minutes to pop the chicken under the broiler to melt the cheese and it makes this dish so much more French Onion Soup-y!
How to store leftovers:
If you happen to have any leftovers of this chicken, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or oven as desired!
This Crockpot French Onion Chicken is the perfect easy dinner idea for a quick weeknight meal or an easy dinner recipe to serve and impress guests. Serve it with a fresh salad and a glass of white wine and you will have a restaurant worthy dinner in minutes!
Leave a review or comment below letting us know how this French Onion Chicken recipe turns out for you! We hope you will love it as much as we do!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed french onion soup
- 1 (1 oz) envelope Lipton Onion Soup & Dip Mix
- 4-6 thick slices gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Spray a large crockpot with non stick spray. Arrange chicken breast in an even layer on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer sliced onions on top of chicken and sprinkle with Lipton onion soup & dip mix. Pour french onion soup on top and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Preheat broiler and grease a casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Remove whole chicken breasts and place in an oven safe casserole dish. Scoop out any leftover cooked onions and arrange those on top of the chicken. Add a little of the broth to the casserole dish, about 1/3 cup.
- Top each chicken breast with Swiss cheese and broil until melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 471TOTAL FAT: 22gSATURATED FAT: 11gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 9gCHOLESTEROL: 151mgSODIUM: 341mgCARBOHYDRATES: 11gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 0gFIBER: 1gSUGAR: 2gSUGAR ALCOHOLS: 0gPROTEIN: 53g
Can you put raw chicken in the Crock Pot?
Yes, we do this most of the time that we cook chicken in the crock pot. We cook it on low for 4-6 hours and the chicken comes out perfectly.
We even put frozen chicken in the crock pot. It takes longer to cook but still comes out great with all of our recipes.
- Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Thyme
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Beef Broth – You can also use Beef Stock
- Swiss cheese
How to make Crock Pot French Onion Chicken:
- Prepare Crockpot – Even though it is not necessary, you can spray you crock pot with cooking spray.
- Add onions – We like to add the onions first to the bottom of the crock pot. We love caramelized onions and adding them first really brings out the flavor of the sweet onion.
- Top with Chicken – Add the chicken breast and place on top of the onion.
- Add the Seasoning – Season the chicken breast with salt and thyme.
- Mix in the Liquid – Pour the Balsamic and the broth over the top.
- Cook – Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 stirring occasionally. Cooking time could vary.
- Add the Cheese – 30 minutes before serving, top with the sliced Swiss cheese.
- Melt the Cheese – Cook for 15 minutes to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Spoon the onion mixture on top of the chicken and serve.
Can I bake French Onion Chicken?
Yes, you can. We definitely love using our crock pot, but this recipe works great in the oven. This simple chicken dinner is the true definition of comfort foods.
Combine the ingredients in a oven safe casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Use your meat thermometer to check the chickens internal temperature.
Can I make French Onion Chicken in the skillet?
Yes, this recipe cooks great in a skillet. This French Onion Chicken comes out so juicy with the caramelized onions and melted cheese. The best part is that it can all be done in one skillet. We prefer to make this in an iron skillet.
Make sure that you chicken breast is about the same size so that it cooks evenly. Cook the onion in butter to soften them then add in seasoning and the chicken. After cooking on the stove, top the chicken with cheese and plac
Variations for French Onion Chicken:
- Use another cut of Chicken – You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast if you prefer.
- Cheese Alternative – If you do not like swiss cheese, you can also use provolone or mozzarella. You can also use gruyere cheese. But it can be hard to find so a good alternative is provolone.
- Cook on the Stove Top – If you prefer to cook this on the stove top, melt butter and cook on medium heat to high heat. I like to slow cook my chicken but this is definitely an option if you forgot to put the chicken in the crock pot soon enough.
- Broil the Cheese – If you prefer, you can place the chicken in a casserole dish or baking sheet and then melt the cheese in the oven. This really makes the cheese bubbly and crispy.
- Add Mushrooms – If you love mushrooms as much as my sister does, then I would add them to this recipe.
- Use Red Onions – Use red onions instead of the Vidalia onions if you prefer. Yellow onions is also a great alternative.
- Cook the Onions – Some recipes called for cooking the onions in a skillet prior to adding them to onions. It is your preference, but I like just adding them to the crock pot.
Tips for the Best French Onion Chicken:
- Add all the ingredients – All the ingredients combine together makes it the reason this is the most flavorful chicken. The only thing I would add is more cheese if you are a cheese lover like we are.
- Skip on shredding the chicken – Most of the time when we make chicken in the crock pot, it always seems we shred it. But this recipe, we always keep the chicken breast whole. Shredding the chicken absorbs all the liquid.
- French Onion Gravy – We love the gravy that is made with the onion, balsamic vinegar and broth. It is perfect pour over the chicken and perfect dipping your favorite bread.