Hello. Welcome to solsarin. This post is about “gluten free strawberry short cake“.
gluten fee strawberry shortcake recipe
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free flour blend (or Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk (or ⅔ cup dairy-free milk + 1 teaspoon white vinegar)
- ¼ cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries
- whipped cream (or dairy-free whipped cream)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position rack in center of oven. Grease a 12 serving cupcake pan; or line a 12 serving cupcake pan with papers; set aside.
- For the Short Cakes: In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk just until combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake wells, about ⅔ full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the Topping: Remove the stems from the strawberries, wash and slice them into a bowl. Mash the strawberries with the back of a fork to release juices. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
- When ready to serve, cut each shortcake in half horizontally. Spoon strawberry topping on top, add whipped cream if desired.
- Store shortcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Here’s why you’ll LOVE this gluten free strawberry shortcake cake
- The gluten free vanilla sponges – they’re perfectly soft and fluffy, with a delicate, melt-in-the-mouth texture. That’s largely due to the so-called “reverse creaming method”, which I love using for layer cakes as it always produces the most delicious results (more on that below).
- The whipped cream, stabilised with cream cheese – it’s whipped to the soft peak stage and it holds its shape beautifully thanks to the addition of cream cheese. In addition to stabilising it, the cream cheese also adds a slight tang to the frosting, which pairs beautifully with the sweet strawberries.
- The juicy strawberries – the cake is absolutely packed with strawberries. They’re macerated for about an hour or so, which allows them to release their juices and become even more aromatic and delicious. The juices are then reduced down to a syrup, which I like to liberally drizzle all over the finished cake (and over the individual slices as well, just for good measure).
- It’s a small batch cake! This recipe makes a 6 inch, two-layer cake that serves 4-6 people – though you could easily double the recipe to make an 8 inch cake instead.
- It’s gluten free – not that you could possibly guess!
- It’s drop dead gorgeous. Just look at it!!!
gluten free stawbey shortcake cake
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Eggs Room Temp
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Cooking Oil Vegetable or Canola
- 1 Cup Buttermilk or Milk + Vinegar
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Strawberries Sliced and Chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill the pan with cupcake liners.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set Aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds.
Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined.
Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
Beat until well combined, the batter will be thin.
Divide into cupcake liners, 2/3 full.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Before frosting use a small knife or the end of a decorating tip to make a circle on top of the cupcake.
Carefully add about 1/4 Tsp of berries to it and then replace with the cake that you took out, to make smooth.
Then, prepare the frosting.
To make Frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
Beat until creamy.
Gradually add whipping cream, beat until stiff peaks form.
Once done add a spoonful of frosting to each cupcake or use a decorating bag and tip of your choice and frost.
Top with fresh strawberries.
gluten fee stawbey shotcake cupcakes
FAQs and Tips for Making Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Which gluten-free flour blends are best in this recipe?
I’ve tested this recipe with both Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour and King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour with success.
Do I need to add xanthan gum for this recipe?
If your gluten-free flour blend does not already contain xanthan gum, you will need to add it to the recipe as stated in the directions. However, if your blend does contain it, there is no need to add more. You can find xanthan gum in the gluten-free aisle of your grocery store.
gluten fee stawbey shotcake bisquick,
- 4 cups (1 qt) strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/3 cups Bisquick™ Gluten Free pancake & baking mix
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whipping cream, whipped
1In small bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
2Heat oven to 425°F. Grease cookie sheet. In medium bowl, combine Bisquick™ mix and remaining 1/4 cup of the sugar; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork. Stir in milk, eggs and vanilla. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
3Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. With serrated knife, split shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Tips from the Betty Crocker Kitchens
tip 1Cooking Gluten Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Change the milk – substitute your favorite non-dairy milk (I especially like Vanilla Almond Milk)
- Go Nuts!– top the shortcakes with chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts.
- Sweeter Berries- if you like your strawberries on the sweeter side try sprinkling some sugar ( or sugar substitute) to cut berries and allowing them to sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Sauce it up– create a strawberry sauce to drizzle over shortcakes by adding 2 cups sliced (or quartered strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste) and 1 tsp vanilla to a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir together and use a wooden spoon to mash some of the strawberries. Cook until sauce thickens (about 15 mins.). Sauce will continue to thicken when removed from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Each component of this classic dessert is super easy to whip up – from the biscuits to the strawberry filling to the light and fluffy whipped cream! Putting it all together is even simpler.
Make the Biscuits
Homemade biscuits start with a basic mixture of dry ingredients. Then, cold cubes of butter are mixed right in, followed by a cup of buttermilk. After that, it’s just a matter of kneading, cutting, and baking! For more detailed instructions and extra tips on making gluten-free shortcakes, check out my recipe for gluten free sweet biscuits.
gluten fee stawbey shotcake ice ceam ba
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 2 Cups Roasted Cashews with Sea Salt (If not salted, add 1/4 tsp sea salt)
- 1 TBS Vanilla Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 TBS Strawberry Simply Jello Powder or Freeze Dried Strawberry Powder
- 4 TBS Organic Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Melted Coconut Oil or Grass-fed Butter
*Set aside 1 cup of the prepared crust for the crumbly topping
Buzz crust ingredients together in a food processor and spread in a 8×8 or 9×11 pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until edges are lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- 20 Organic ( can be gluten-free) Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
- 3 TBS Melted Grass-fed Butter or Unrefined Coconut Oil
Buzz through the food processor until crumbs are smooth. Press into pan.
7 Cups of Strawberry Ice Cream or a mix of Strawberry sorbet and vanilla ice cream. (Use your favorite local variety or dairy-free if desired) slightly softened at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- 4 TBS Strawberry Simply Jello or Freeze Dried Strawberries ground into powder
- 1 TBS Softned Grass-fed butter or Unrefined Coconut Oil vanilla sandwich cookies)
- 1 Cup Prepared Crust Mixture ( or 10 vanilla sandwich cookies