Hi, welcome to solsarin site, in this post we want to talk about“moist banana chocolate chip muffins”,
thank you for choosing us.
moist banana chocolate chip muffins
Ingredients You Need
- 4 ripe bananas
- sugar or sugar of choice
- baking soda
- All purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour
- Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Perfect Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
- Grease your muffin tins.
- Peel bananas and throw them in a big bowl with the melted butter and smash it all together with a fork.
- Keep blending until the mixture is creamy and smooth, not chunky.
- Add sugar, egg and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Stir in salt and baking soda.
- Add flour and chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Divide into muffin tins.
- Bake until cake tester or toothpick pulls out cleanly for about 18-20 minutes.
Tip: Preference not to use liners, because the muffins are so moist they tend to just stick and be messy, unless you lightly spray with them with non-stick cooking spray right before baking.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ingredients & Variations
Similar to the ingredients found in a classic banana bread with the addition of chocolate chips!
For this recipe we use all purpose flour. You can also substitute up to 1/3 of the flour with quick oats with great results!
This recipe is a perfect way to use up overripened bananas! If your bananas aren’t quite ready you can ripen them quickly by popping them in a 350°F oven for 10-15 mins wrapped in foil!
You can also add in up to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to make peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins! Yum!
How to Make Banana Muffins?
Mixing these treats up will take only a few minutes out of a busy day!
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add both kinds of chocolate chips.
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl. Slowly add dry to wet until just combined (do not overmix).
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
Muffin Baking Times
- For mini muffins, bake 14 to 16 minutes
- For regular-sized muffins, bake 18 to 20 minutes
- For Texas (jumbo) sized muffins, bake 20 to 22 minutes
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Ingredients for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- Bread flour – Although bread flour does work best in this recipe, you can also use all-purpose flour instead. If you’ve got it, opt for King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, which has a higher protein content.
- Baking powder and baking soda – Learn more about baking soda vs. baking powder here!
- Fine salt – to balance out the sweetness.
- Ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- Bananas – the star ingredient! Make sure your bananas are very ripe – more details on this below.
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Semisweet chocolate chips – You could also use milk, dark, or white chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Coarse sugar, for garnish if desired
How ripe should bananas be for muffins?
Be sure to use overripe bananas for these muffins. The best bananas for baking should be very well speckled or even nearly black. This is important when baking Banana Bread, muffins, cake, or cupcakes!
If you use underripe bananas (and when I say ‘underripe,’ I mean for baking specifically!), your muffins will be bland and dry.
Can you make them ahead of time?
Yes, these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfect for making ahead and freezing. Whether you need these muffins for a future date or just want to have some on hand, you can freeze them once they’ve cooled in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve, just allow them to defrost overnight in the fridge and then warm them up in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers. You’ll end up with 12-14 muffins total.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a second large bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- When the flour is about 80% folded in, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the muffin batter into your prepared muffin pan until each cavity is filled to the top. Optionally sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (except for melted chocolate).
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then remove from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 60 Grams Butter
- 2 Cups Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Over-ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 1 Cup (200g) Dark Chocolate Chips or Chocolate Drops
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Spray Muffin tray with baking spray or line with cupcake cases
- Melt the butter in a covered medium sized bowl in the microwave in 20 second bursts or on the stove top until completely melted, set aside to cool slightly while you prepare other ingredients
- In a medium bowl add the flour, caster sugar and combine well and set aside
- Mash the banana and set aside
- Add to the melted butter the eggs and milk and whisk well
- Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the butter mixture, the mashed bananas along with the chocolate chips and very lightly combine with a wooden spoon, gently mix just until no flour is left but be careful not to overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases until 2/3 full
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they spring back to your touch and are a light golden brown and carefully remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray
- Remove carefully into a wire rack to completely cool before storing in an airtight container
Do I make banana muffins with oil or butter?
Oil is not the devil that it’s portrayed to be and if you use a cold pressed canola oil that has little or no taste to it, you are winning. There is a big difference in the texture of banana muffins made with oil versus ones with butter All muffins made with oil are going to be more cake-like, while the ones using butter will be denser. There is really no right or wrong choice, just your preference.
Does the sour cream make these more moist banana muffins?
Yes, the sour cream helps make these muffins moister. That’s the aim when you are making banana muffins, you want them moist and decadent. This recipe for banana muffins uses sour cream and this helps yield deliciously moist and chocolate banana muffins! The key is also to use not only the bananas but very ripe bananas as the riper the bananas are the more they mix into the batter.
The Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups smashed ripened bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Grease 12 3 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- Mix first 4 ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs and beat well.
- Mix in the bananas and sour cream.
- Use a wooden spoon to add the flour mixture and then the chocolate chips.
- Fill your muffin cups to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Make sure to use very ripe bananas.
Sour Cream Chip Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mint or semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.