Hello dear friends, thank you for choosing us. In this post on the solsarin site, we will talk about “oil capacity dt466 international”.
Stay with us.
Thank you for your choice.
What Is the DT466 Engine Oil Capacity?
The International DT466 oil change is a simple way to stay on top of your maintenance schedule. This guide is for a DT466 E manufactured from 1994 – 2001 equipped with a spin on oil filter.
- 15/16” socket and ratchet
- Oil filter wrench
- Funnel for fresh engine oil
- Oil Drain pan with at least 30 quart capacity
- Clean rag
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ~30 quarts 15W40 engine oil – Shell Rotella Recommended (Capacity is approximate due to variations in oil pans)
- Oil filter – Wix 51799 or equivalent
International DT466 Oil Change Procedure:
- Warm engine to operating temp
- Check engine oil level on dipstick (attached to the engine oil fill cap)
- Use the 15/16” socket and ratchet to drain the engine oil into the drain pan
- Remove oil filter using the filter wrench
- Clean oil drain plug and oil filter mounting surfaces
- Prefill oil filter with some of the fresh engine oil
- Reinstall and tighten oil drain plug
- Fill engine with 28 quarts of engine oil with oil fill funnel and reinstall oil fill cap
- Start engine to let the oil circulate (Check for any leaks or abnormalities while running) and shut the engine back down
- Check engine oil level & top off if necessary
The International DT466 diesel engine is a six-cylinder inline diesel engine that uses a so-called “wet-sleeve” design that is common among large industrial diesels but unusual among mid-range diesel engines similar to the DT466. The wet-sleeve design refers to the fact that the DT466 engine cylinder walls remain in direct contact with engine coolant, improving cooling efficiency at the cost of some additional maintenance requirements. However, the wet-sleeve design also improves overall engine durability, as the cylinder walls of the engine are more uniform and more hardened than the softer cylinder walls of conventionally cooled engines.
The DT466 has been constructed in many different versions since the 1970s. Engine outputs have varied considerably even in engines made in the same model year, as different variants are tuned for either standard or high-torque applications. Standard-torque models of the DT466 can produce up to 620 foot-pounds of torque, while high-torque engines can produce up to 800 foot-pounds of peak torque.
The DT466 is a turbocharged diesel. It is, according to Brattain, “the only high volume mid-range diesel engine with replaceable wet sleeve architecture.” In the wet sleeve design, the cylinder wall thickness is uniform and the cylinder is surrounded completely with coolant. The DT466 utilizes six bolts per cylinder for head clamping. The purpose of the six-bolt design is to evenly distribute clamping force and improve the life span of the head gasket. Additionally, the DT466 design includes valve rotators and an oil cooler thermostat. The engine is designed to be overhauled while remaining in the vehicle, lowering overhaul costs. The engine weight is 1,480 pounds.
There are six versions of the International DT466 engine as of 2010. The 210-horsepower engine produces peak horsepower at 2,300 rpm and 520 pound-feet of torque at 1,400 rpm. The 220-horsepower engine produces 540 pound-feet of torque; the 225-horsepower version produces 560 pound-feet of torque; one 245-horsepower version produces 620 pound-feet of torque and the higher-end 245-horsepower version produces 660 pound-feet of torque. The highest powered DT466 engine produces 260 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque. All horsepower peaks listed are at 2,300 rpm and torque peaks at 1,400 rpm. The International DT466 delivers 220 horsepower and 540 pound-feet of torque in the 2004 CXT pickup..
According to Brattain, International represents that the B10 life of the engine, or the point where 90% of DT466 engines are still running, is 300,000 miles. The B50 life is 450,000 miles under normal operating conditions.
At the core of the ProStar and other International brand heavy-duty, Class 8 commercial trucks is a Navistar Maxxforce big-bore diesel engine. Introduced in 2008, the Maxxforce 11 and Maxxforce 13 are designed specifically for International brand heavy trucks. Whether barreling down the Interstate highway or lumbering along in city traffic, the Maxxforce diesel reaches peak torque at 1,000 rpm; offering better response for earlier up-shifts and better lugging for fewer downshifts.
Maxxforce 11 and Maxxforce 13 Performance
The Maxxforce 11 and Maxxforce 13 diesel engines are tough, reliable and capable of delivering maximum power and performance, with low noise and vibration for a quiet ride. Dual-staged turbochargers — intercooler and aftercooler — and a high-pressure direct injection system maximize the performance of the Maxxforce big-bore engines. The primary turbo responds quickly for fast take-offs while the larger, secondary turbo provides maximum power on steep grades. After achieving peak torque at only 1,000 rpm, the torque holds steady at 1,200 rpm which is lower than most other big-bore engines. The engine is fabricated from compacted graphite iron cylinder block (CG) making it 500 lbs. lighter. Optimal fuel combustion results in better fuel economy and less emissions.
Maxxforce 11 Specs and Dimensions
The Maxxforce 11 is a four-cycle, inline six-cylinder diesel engine with four valves per cylinder, overhead cam actuated. Engine displacement is 641 cubic inches. Bore and stroke are 4.72 inches and 6.10 inches. The compression ratio is 16.5:1. Total dry weight of the engine is 2,400 lbs. Oil capacity is 42 quarts. It is 59 inches long, 37 inches wide and 49 inches high.
Maxxforce 13 Specs and Dimensions
The Maxxforce 13 is a four-cycle, inline six-cylinder diesel engine with four valves per cylinder, overhead cam actuated. Engine displacement is 758 cubic inches. Bore and stroke are 4.96 inches and 6.54 inches. Compression ratio is 16.5:1. Total dry weight of the engine is 2,400 lbs. Oil capacity is 42 quarts. It is 59 inches long, 37 inches wide and 49 inches high.
Specifications & Details of the Product
The oil pan has a 34 bolt design. Diesel engines with International DT466 from 1977-1993 can be fitted with this part
Replaces OE pan 1801398C91 and has a capacity of 30 quarts.
Oil Pan Gasket Set 671827C2 is required (not included).
Oil Pan Specs:
30 qt capacity
Wiper for crank shaft not included
Yes, a drain plug is included
7/8-18 Thread Size for Drain Plugs
Are gaskets and seals included? No
Does the installation hardware come with it? No
Quantity of mounting holes: 34
Sensor port for oil level? No
Do you include the pick up tube? No
Dimensions (LxWxH): 35.75 x 11.12 x 9.88 in
Location of SumpRear
StyleWet for Sump
Procedure for changing the oil in the International DT466:
- The engine should be warmed up to operating temperature
- Oil level should be checked on the dipstick (attached to the engine oil fill cap).
- Dispose of the engine oil in the drain pan using the 15/16″ socket and ratchet
- Filter wrench is used to remove oil filter
- Make sure the mounting surfaces of the oil filter and the oil drain plug are clean
- Add some fresh engine oil to the oil filter
- Install and tighten the oil drain plug
- With the oil fill funnel, fill the engine with 28 quarts of engine oil and reinstall the oil fill cap
- Start the engine and let the oil circulate (check for any leaks or abnormalities while running) and shut it down.
- Top off engine oil if necessary and check engine oil level