Hey guys! We return with an amazing topic about Food & beverage in solsarin. This is “Old fashioned Chicken and Noodles Casserole” which is really interesting. I suggest you to stay along with us and tell us your comments.
Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Casserole
Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Casserole is one of those good, ole, standby recipes common to many of us, no matter where we live – a basic chicken noodle casserole – the kind that has been around for longer than I have. Simple, easy, yummy and comforting. It’s a great casserole for anytime but is especially comforting on those cooler nights that are coming up.
- 12oz uncooked wide egg noodles (about 7 cups)
- 1/4cup butter
- 1cup finely chopped celery
- 1cup finely chopped onions
- 1cup finely chopped carrots
- 2cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/4cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4cup heavy whipping cream
- 3cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2cup Progresso™ Panko Italian style crispy bread crumbs
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
1Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain egg noodles as directed on package.
2In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Cook celery, onions, carrots and garlic in butter 6 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3Add 2 1/2 cups of the chicken broth, the thyme, salt and pepper to skillet; heat to boiling. In small measuring cup, beat remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth and the flour with whisk. Stir into hot chicken broth mixture in skillet. Simmer and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in whipping cream and shredded chicken.
4Add cooked egg noodles to baking dish; stir in chicken mixture until mixed well. Cover; bake 30 to 35 minutes or until casserole is heated through.
5Meanwhile, in 8-inch nonstick skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Cook bread crumbs in butter 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over baked casserole. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
- Calories from Fat
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Trans Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat;
More About This Recipe
WHICH CHICKEN TO USE FOR A CHICKEN PASTA BAKE?
You’ll need cooked chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs until cooked through (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken. You can use as little as ¾ lb. of meat — whatever you have on hand. You’ll need a total of about 2 cups (more or less) shredded. I find that 1 lb. of chicken breasts yields about 2 cups of pulled chicken, but there’s some flexibility here — it doesn’t need to be exact.
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this casserole.
- Canned Chicken: Yep, you can even use canned chicken in this casserole!
WHAT’S A GOOD SUBSTITUTE FOR CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP?
I’ve got nothing against a creamy casserole that comes together in minutes with help from cans of condensed cream of chicken soup. That said, sometimes it’s worth spending a few extra minutes in the kitchen to make a dish from scratch — just like Grandma’s! Here, you’ll whisk together a roux (with butter and flour), and then add chicken broth and milk. This process only takes a few minutes, and it creates a rich, creamy, flavorful substitute for cream of chicken soup.
CAN CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE BE FROZEN?
Freeze the chicken casserole before baking. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, cover with foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, allow the dish to come to room temperature on the counter for at least 30 minutes, and then bake according to recipe instructions. The creamy sauce is less likely to “break” when thawed if you give it time to come to room temperature (don’t put the frozen or cold casserole directly in the oven), and if you use full-fat milk instead of skim milk.
Simple Chicken and Noodles
You can substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of all-purpose flour for the noodles. The dough will be stiffer and harder to knead.
Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Let me tell you the tale of the young rooster used for this chicken noodle soup. Maybe it’s rooster noodle soup, eh? This year, my parents decided they wanted to keep chickens so my mom bought about 20 chicks from a local farmer, built them a baby chicken “sauna” (heat lamps, the works!) and kept them in the shower of the guest bathroom since they were too tiny to be outdoors.
Their Jack Russell terrier made it into the bathroom and basically annihilated every single one of the chicks. Poor babies. My mom was so upset, but the dog was curious, got in and temptation overtook him I guess. So Mom went back to the farmer for more chicks but by then, all of the female chicks had been bought up so she ended up with about 50% roosters.
Something had to be done with the roosters who had a little too much testosterone to co-exist in the same coup. So the rooster that you see in the ingredient picture below, well…
Ingredients or the Chicken Broth
2 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (drum, breast, wing, neck..) I used a whole small rooster
2 bay leaves
1 small onion, halved (or 1/2 medium onion)
2 garlic cloves, pierced
1 tsp dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 Quarts water
12-16 oz egg noodles (keep in mind they expand as they cook)
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
3 celery sticks, finely diced
2 large carrots, quartered and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely diced
salt & ground black pepper, to taste
4 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
4 Tbsp Fresh Dill, chopped