Hello & welcome to solsarin. Our discussion is about “One Pot Chicken and Rice recipes”. Please stay with us until the end of the text.
ONE POT CHICKEN AND RICE
Quick and easy one pot chicken and rice recipe, made with simple ingredients on stovetop. It’s is a healthy 30 minute meal, packed with Cajun seasoning, peppers, corn.
Among the many chicken and rice recipes I make, my family says this one pot chicken and rice recipe is their absolute favorite. I never ever have any leftovers! It’s just as good as this One Pot Sausage and Rice.
It does have a little bit of spicy kick to it because of the Cajun seasoning but that can be easily adjusted, based on how much spice you can handle.
Leftovers of this chicken and rice one pot meal make a great lunch the next day.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It is simple, quick and fast
- Uses simple pantry ingredients
- Minimal prep: 10 minutes tops!
- While this is stove top recipe, it can be oven baked too.
- Totally customisable to taste
- Depending on the type of rice, you are using, this recipe would be ready in 30 minutes. See why you have to love a one-pot dinner? It is totally awesome!
- It stores well in the fridge at least for up to 5 days, I like to keep it for 3 days maximum for optimum freshness. You can also freeze it too!
CHICKEN AND RICE INGREDIENTS
Uncooked Basmati rice: swap for jasmine rice or long grain rice. I used golden sella basmati rice which cooks like long grain rice.
Bone-in skinless chicken thighs: I removed the skin off the chicken myself as we hardly eat chicken with skin on. Also, to make this recipe healthy, it is best to cook without the skin.
Mixed herbs: swap for Italian seasoning or herb de Provence
OTHER FLAVOR VARIATIONS FOR EASY CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE:
- One Pot Chicken Thighs and Rice– Use chicken 4 or 5 chicken thighs instead of chicken breast pieces.
- Chicken Breast and Rice– Use whole boneless chicken breasts, strips or cubes.
- Fried Chicken and Rice– Stir fry the leftovers the next day (stale rice works best in stir fries) in some oil in a wok.
- Creamy Chicken and Rice– Lower the amount of heavy cream and balance it with some heavy cream or half and half or even cream cheese.
- Chicken and Brown Rice– Replace regular rice with brown rice but the cooking time will need to be increased since brown rice takes longer to get cooked.
- Chicken and Rice soup/ Chicken and Wild Rice Soup– Add more broth and water to create a soup-like consistency. Also, increase the quantity of cajun seasoning. Also, use wild rice instead of regular rice.
- Mexican Chicken and Rice– Use taco seasoning instead of cajun seasoning.
- Chicken Rice and Beans– Add 1/3 cup canned beans in this recipe.
- Chicken and Rice Recipe with Cream of Mushroom Soup– Add 1 small can of cream of mushroom soup in this recipe and reduce the amount of brother by 1/4 cup.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION
Can I bake chicken and rice in the oven?
Absolutely, all you have to do is preheat the oven at 180C/350F. follow all the steps above but instead of cooking on the stove, bake in the oven covered for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Is chicken and rice healthy?
Yes, it is, but as with everything in life, you have to eat it in moderation regardless of how delicious it is. It contains protein and carbs that is good for the body.
type of rice
- You can make this dish using brown rice in place of white rice but you will need to increase the cook time from 15 minutes to 35-40 minutes.
- white rice, jasmin, and basmati will all work here
low sodium chicken stock
- This isn’t 100% necessary but I do recommend using a low sodium stock so you can have a little more control over how salty your final dish is. If you don’t have any low sodium stock then just makes sure to reduce the amount of added salt at the end.
make it low fodmap
- Use a fodmap friendly stock (like this Roasted low FODMAP Vegetable Stock) and leave out the garlic powder.
a hot pan
- Make sure to heat up your skillet before adding the chicken so that the chicken will form a nice brown crust.