pot roast oven with potatoes and carrots
Hello. Welcome to solsarin. This post is about “pot roast oven with potatoes and carrots“.
The carrot (Daucus carota subsp. sativus) is a root vegetable, typically orange in color, though purple, black, red, white, and yellow cultivars exist, all of which are domesticated forms of the wild carrot, Daucus carota, native to Europe and Southwestern Asia. The plant probably originated in Persia and was originally cultivated for its leaves and seeds. The most commonly eaten part of the plant is the taproot, although the stems and leaves are also eaten. The domestic carrot has been selectively bred for its enlarged, more palatable, less woody-textured taproot.
The carrot is a biennial plant in the umbellifer family, Apiaceae. At first, it grows a rosette of leaves while building up the enlarged taproot. Fast-growing cultivars mature within three months (90 days) of sowing the seed, while slower-maturing cultivars need a month longer (120 days). The roots contain high quantities of alpha- and beta-carotene, and are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin B6.
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) reports that world production of carrots and turnips (these plants are combined by the FAO) for 2018 was 40 million tonnes, with 45% of the world total grown in China. Carrots are commonly consumed raw or cooked in various cuisines.
Easy Homestyle Pot Roast
- 1 (3 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion , coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes , cleaned then diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 medium carrots , peeled and chopped into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Transfer roast to cutting board (or plate), add onions to pan and saute until they begin to brown, about 4 – 5 minutes, adding in garlic during last minute.
Return roast to pan, pour beef broth and optional red wine over roast. Add thyme, rosemary and bay leaf to broth. Bring to a simmer, then cover pot with lid and transfer to oven and cook 2 hours.
Remove from oven, add carrots and potatoes to pot and season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and return to oven and cook 1 – 1 1/2 hours longer until roast and veggies are tender.
Remove roast and shred or cut into large pieces, while removing fat, then return to pot. Remove bay leaf and herb sprigs. Serve warm.
Do I Have to Use Red Wine?
The red wine in this recipe is totally optional and definitely not a must. The roast still has plenty of flavor without it from the browning, the garlic and onions and the fresh herbs.
How to Choose a Good Roast
When selecting a roast I recommend sticking with chuck roast for this recipe, and look for a roast that has some marbling (of fat) because that will also offer a more tender end result.
OVEN POT ROAST WITH CARROTS AND POTATOES
- 1blade roast, cut about 4 inches thick and weighing about 5 lbs.
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8teaspoon pepper
- 1cup water
- 6medium carrots, peeled and cut in 2 inch cubes
- 6medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3medium onions, peeled and quartered
- Sprinkle roast well with salt and pepper.
- Place in a large roasting pan.
- Add water, cover and cook roast for 1 1/2 hours in a 325* oven.
- Uncover and arrange vegetables around roast in pan.
- Recover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are both fork tender.