It is a super easy sheet pan roasted vegetable recipe with only 5 ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes. Your new favorite easy side dish or salad topper!
Ready to learn our favorite way to make baked carrots and brussels sprouts? Let’s do it!
Pre-heat the oven to 205C/400F. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Empty the washed and cut brussels sprouts and carrots onto the baking tray. Include any brussels leaves that have fallen off. Toss through the olive oil and thyme.14 ounces brussels sprouts,14 ounces carrots,2 tablespoons olive oil,4 teaspoons fresh thyme
Roast the vegetables for around 25 to 30 minutes or until the brussels are golden and crispy in parts (but not burnt) and the carrots are starting to caramelize. Toss around half way through cooking.
Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Microwave for 30 seconds to melt the butter.2 tablespoons honey,1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar,2 teaspoons mustard,½ clove garlic,1 tablespoon butter,½ teaspoon salt,¼ teaspoon pepper
When the vegetables are cooked, immediately toss the dressing through them. Empty them into a serving bowl. Sprinkle over any toppings (purely optional) and serve immediately.crumbled cheese, toasted nuts, dried berries
Another recipe :
Why you will love this recipe!
- Healthy: Fresh Brussel sprouts and carrots are tossed in seasonings and a little oil for a vegetable side dish that is low in fat and full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Great for a crowd: This roasted carrots and Brussel sprouts recipe is easily halved and doubled depending on how many people you are feeding.
- Quick and easy: With minimal ingredients and a short prep time, you don’t need to spend hours in the kitchen to serve up a tasty side dish.
- Brussels sprouts: Trim the sprouts and remove the tough outer leaves. Cut in half before tossing in the seasonings.
- Carrots: Peel the carrots and cut into chunks.
- Red onion: I like to add a red onion for a mild sweet flavor. You could use a yellow or white onion.
- Oil: Used for roasting. I used olive oil, but vegetable or canola will work well.
- Maple syrup: The carrots are tossed in maple syrup for a hint of sweetness. Honey can aslo be used if not vegan.
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.
Preheat the oven to 425F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Toss carrots and red onion with maple syrup, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and half of the seasonings. Toss Brussels sprouts with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and seasonings.
Spread carrots on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, turning halfway through until they start to brown and caramelize.
Spread Brussels sprouts on a second baking sheet and add to the oven after 10 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes turning halfway through, or until they caramelize.
Remove carrots and Brussels sprouts from the oven and toss them in a serving bowl.
TIPS & NOTES
- Cut the carrots into similar sized pieces so that they cook through evenly.
- Use your hands to toss the vegetables in the oil and seasonings so that they are well coated.
- Cook the vegetables in a fully pre-heated oven.
- The vegetables can be prepped a few hours ahead of time until they are ready to be roasted.
- Make bacon, carrots, and brussels sprouts by adding some leftover crumbled bacon on top. I usually have a bit leftover in the fridge when I make my baked bacon. If you don’t have leftover bacon, you can bake some at the same time on a different sheet pan. I don’t bake them on the same sheet pan as the flavour from the bacon and bacon fat will outpower the sriracha honey and brussels sprouts
- Squeeze a wedge of lime over the roasted carrots and brussels sprouts before serving to give it a bright acidity flavour.
- Add some fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme to the sheet pan for some herby flavour.
Do I have to peel my carrots?
I always peel my carrots. It saves me from having to scrub them clean.
How should I cut carrots before roasting?
I cut mine on an angle so there’s more surface area to caramelize on the sheet pan. Try to cut them so they’re a similar size to your brussels sprouts so they roast evenly.
Why are my brussels sprouts mushy?
This usually means there isn’t enough space on the sheet pan for the vegetables. If everything is too close, the vegetables will steam up instead of roast. You want the hot air in the oven to be able to reach as much of the vegetables as possible.
How do I keep the brussels sprouts crispy?
Roasting the vegetables at a high temperature helps make them super crispy! Make sure your oven is set to 450F.
Thank you for staying with this post “roasted brussel sprouts and carrots” until the end.