A curry is a dish with a sauce seasoned with spices, mainly associated with South Asian cuisine. In southern India, leaves from the curry tree may be included.
There are many varieties of curry. In traditional cuisines, the selection of spices for each dish is a matter of national or regional cultural tradition, religious practice, and preference of the chef. Such dishes have names that refer to their ingredients, spicing, and cooking methods. Outside the Indian subcontinent, a curry is a dish from Southeast Asia which uses coconut milk or spice pastes, commonly eaten over rice.
Curries may contain fish, meat, poultry, or shellfish, either alone or in combination with vegetables. Others are vegetarian. Dry curries are cooked using small amounts of liquid, which is allowed to evaporate, leaving the other ingredients coated with the spice mixture. Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy based on broth, coconut cream or coconut milk, dairy cream or yogurt, or legume purée, sautéed crushed onion, or tomato purée.
- 1 tablespoonOil
- 1 cupOnions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoonGarlic minced
- 7-8Baby Potatoes cut into half (or 2 large potatoes, diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 8Chicken Thighs skinless and boneless , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6-8Peppercorns whole
- 1Green Chilli finely chopped (or Serrano Pepper)
- 1 tablespoonCoriander Powder
- 1 teaspoonRed Chilli Powder or chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoonTurmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoonGaram Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoonSalt
- 1 cupTomato Puree
- ½ cupWater
- 1 tablespoonButter
- Chopped coriander for topping
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions soften. Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Mix well.
Cover and cook on high for 3.5-4 hours or low for 6 hours. Once the chicken curry is cooked, mix in the chopped coriander and serve hot on top of steamed rice or with some butter naan.
- Chicken Thighs vs. Breasts: I recommend chicken thighs for this recipe because they don’t dry out and retain their juiciness in the slow cooker. You can also use bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe. If you insist on using chicken breasts, keep them whole and once the curry is cooked, use a fork to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Butter: Butter adds an extra layer of flavor and the fat keeps the chicken curry from drying out. You can also stir in some cream or coconut milk in the end in this recipe.
- Spices: The blend of coriander powder, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala is powerful, and adds tons of flavor. Chilli powder can be swapped with paprika or cayenne pepper in this recipe. You can also swap these spices for two tablespoons generic curry powder.
1 tbsp.sunflower or vegetable oil
3garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp.ground cumin
1 tsp.ground coriander
1 1/2 tbsp.garam masala
1-3tsp hot paprika, to taste
2 tbsp.tomato purée
2 1/2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
400 gtin chopped tomatoes
200 mlcoconut milk
1 tsp.caster sugar
650 gchicken thigh fillets, trimmed of excess fat and cut into large chunks, about 6cm
Large handful fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat and fry onions until soft, about 8-10min.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, garam masala and 1tsp paprika and fry for 1min until aromatic. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further min. Stir in the ginger, tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar.
- Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker and stir in the chicken and some seasoning. Cover with the lid and cook on Low for 6-8hr.
- When the chicken is cooked and you’re ready to serve, check seasoning and add more paprika to taste, if it needs a touch more spice. Stir in half the coriander, divide between four bowls and sprinkle with remaining coriander. Serve with rice, naan breads and mango chutney, if you like.
What is the Difference Between Jamaican Curry and Regular Curry?
Curry is not a single spice but a unique blend of spices. And probably you’ve heard the infamous Indian Curry. Now you ask what’s the difference between that curry and this Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe.
Is Jamaican Chicken Curry Spicy?
Even with the notable spiciness of curry dishes, this Jamaican Chicken Curry has a fruitier and milder spiciness in it compared to the Indian’s version.
Can You Use Boneless Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you can. You might have to cook it in less time than stated, depending on the thickness of the thighs or until the internal temperature of chicken reads 165°F. For chicken tenderloin or breast, adjust cooking time to 2 -3 hours on high as it’ll cook faster.
Jamaican Curry Chicken
- 3 – 3 ½ pound chicken thighs (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon or more curry spice/powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (or use chicken seasoning)
- ¼ cup or more canola or cooking oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 -2 Tablespoons Curry spice/powder
- 1- cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1- pound potatoes or more peeled cut in medium pieces
- 1- pound carrots and green beans (more or less)
- 1- teaspoon chicken bouillon optional
- Salt to taste
Season chicken with, salt, pepper and curry spice and set aside
In a large skillet or non stick pan, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and brown on both sides about 4-5 minutes until chicken is brown.
Remove chicken and set aside. Drain oil and leave about 2 tablespoons
Add onions, followed by minced garlic, thyme, paprika, curry powder, stir for about 5 minutes, for the flavors to blossom. You may add scotch bonnet now or add it towards the last 45 minutes when adding the vegetables
Add coconut milk, water , bay leaf ,and tomato paste; continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
Salt( I used about 1 teaspoon and ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon ,adjust to taste)
Slow cook for about 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low . Start checking after 2 1/2 hours and adjust cooking times.
About 45 minutes or an hour before chicken is ready throw in vegetables, continue cooking until chicken and vegetables are ready.
Remove adjust salt and pepper , if necessary and serve
south Indian chicken curry recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2½ cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 300g ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp dried curry leaves
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 100ml coconut milk
- small handful coriander leaves
- chapattis, to serve
- Put the oil, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, spices, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, curry leaves and chicken into the slow cooker. Season and stir well. Put the lid on and cook on high for 3½ hrs.
- Remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk. Cook on high for another 30 mins. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with coriander. Serve with warm chapattis.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To reheat and serve, place on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the dish is heated through.
COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN THIGHS
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (about the same size as 2 cloves of garlic)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and halved
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cooked white or brown rice
- Naan, for garnish
- Plain Greek Yogurt, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken, carrots, and bell peppers.
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, tomato paste, coconut milk, salt, curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric in a food processor until mostly smooth. Pour sauce mixture over chicken. Cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl until dissolved. Pour mixture into the slow cooker, stir to combine, and cook for one more hour, or until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Serve coconut curry chicken over rice, garnished with plain greek yogurt, naan, and cilantro.
SECRETS TO A GOOD CURRY
It’s easy to make a good curry. If you’re looking for a tasty dish always be sure to utilize the following ingredients:
- Full-fat Thai style coconut milk
- Chicken stock
- Using fresh spices in your pantry. If the spices in your pantry are more than a few years old then I would suggest replacing.
- Good quality curry powder
- Peas (or another diced vegetable)
- Cilantro to boost the flavor
Thank you for staying with this post “slow cooker chicken thighs curry” until the end.