hello again. welcome to our interesting website, solsarin.com. today, we will read about “strawberry shortcake with pound cake” together.
strawberry and its usefulness
The garden strawberry (or simply strawberry) is a widely grown hybrid species of the genus Fragaria, collectively known as the strawberries, which are cultivated worldwide for their fruit. The fruit is widely appreciated for its characteristic aroma, bright red color, juicy texture, and sweetness. It is consumed in large quantities, either fresh or in such prepared foods as jam, juice, pies, ice cream, milkshakes, and chocolates. Artificial strawberry flavorings and aromas are also widely used in products such as candy, soap, lip gloss, perfume, and many others.
The garden strawberry was first bred in Brittany, France, in the 1750s via a cross of Fragaria virginiana from eastern North America and Fragaria chiloensis, which was brought from Chile by Amédée-François Frézier in 1714. Cultivars of Fragaria × ananassa have replaced, in commercial production, the woodland strawberry (Fragaria vesca), which was the first strawberry species cultivated in the early 17th century.
The strawberry is not, from a botanical point of view, a berry. Technically, it is an aggregate accessory fruit, meaning that the fleshy part is derived not from the plant’s ovaries but from the receptacle that holds the ovaries. Each apparent “seed” (achene) on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it.
In 2019, world production of strawberries was 9 million tonnes, led by China with 40% of the total.
what is a shortcake?
Shortcake generally refers to a sweet cake or crumbly biscuit in the American sense. Shortcakes, particularly layered with strawberries and whipped cream, are now found world-wide, but generally considered to be North American in origin. Variations between sweet biscuits and something more like a sponge cake may reflect regional preferences. Japanese strawberry cake tends to use a sponge cake base, and is a popular holiday treat in Japan.
The “short” part of the name “shortcake” indicates something crumbly or crispy, generally through the addition of a fat such as butter or lard. The earliest mention of the term shortcake occurred in 1588, in the second English cookbook to be printed, The Good Huswifes Handmaid for Cookerie in her Kitchen. It describes a cookie or biscuit in the English sense, made of flour, cream, sugar, egg yolk and spices. It was similar to shortbread but less dense and more crunchy and dry than shortbread.
about pound cake
Pound cake is a type of cake traditionally made with a pound of each of four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. Pound cakes are generally baked in either a loaf pan or a Bundt mold. They are sometimes served either dusted with powdered sugar, lightly glazed, or with a coat of icing.
It is believed that the pound cake is of northern European origin and dates back to the early 1700s. A recipe for pound cake is in the first U.S. cookbook, American Cookery, which was published in 1796.
mixture of these three materials; a delicious dessert
Strawberry Shortcake with pound cake history:
This old-time strawberry dessert first appeared in an English cookbook in 1588. By 1850 it was being served with biscuits, butter, strawberries and sweetened cream. I am thinking that it was a great way to use up leftover breakfast biscuits and create a dinner-time dessert. By 1910 the French began topping the strawberry shortcake with heavy whipped cream.
Strawberry Shortcake is one of our most-loved summertime desserts. Each year for the past several years we have been making a different type of Strawberry Shortcake. This year it is a Strawberry Shortcake with Pound Cake.
Did you know there is a national strawberry shortcake day? Yep, it is celebrated every year on June 14th. Imagine that!
strawberry shortcake with pound cake recipe:
This recipe for easy strawberry shortcake is a great dessert any time of the year. And it only uses three main ingredients, along with confectioners’ sugar and a little vanilla, so it couldn’t be simpler to make.
Use your favorite store-bought frozen pound cake instead of shortcake. A shortcake biscuit, which is a lightly sweetened biscuit, is classic with strawberries and cream. But if you want a quick and informal take on the classic then pound cake is the way to go. It has the perfect soft and velvety texture to melt in your mouth along with the tender strawberries and billowing whipped cream.
3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
Sugar, or lemon juice, to taste, optional
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 loaf frozen pound cake, thawed
1 cup heavy cream
6 sprigs fresh mint, optional
6 whole strawberries, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Put half of the sliced strawberries into a large bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until they are broken down, but still in discrete pieces.
Stir remaining sliced strawberries into mashed strawberries and taste. If strawberries aren’t sweet or tart enough for your taste, add some sugar or some lemon juice. Then cover bowl and chill berries in refrigerator.
In a medium bowl, beat cream with confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. For best results, chill bowl and beaters before starting, and make sure that the cream is very cold.
When ready to serve, slice pound cake into 6 even pieces and place each piece on a serving plate. Top with strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream.
Top with some fresh mint or a small, whole, perfect strawberry.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a standard 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt together and set aside.
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar and increase the speed to high. Beat until light and creamy, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stop the motor occasionally and scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the vanilla and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat just until incorporated. Don’t overbeat or the cake will not be tender.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake the loaf pan to the center of the oven until golden brown on top and a cake tester or toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs, about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 20 minutes. Slide a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then remove the cake and let it cool completely.
For the Strawberries:
- Set aside about 6 strawberries that you will use for decorating the top of the cake.
- Slice the rest of the strawberries into a medium-size bowl and toss with the sugar. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to become juicy.
For Whipped Topping:
- Blend the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and creamy, add the vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and add the cream all at once. With the mixer set on low, begin blending while gradually increasing the speed. Whip to thick and fluffy.
To Assemble the Strawberry Shortcake with Pound Cake:
- Slice the cooled cake horizontally, into 3 equal layers. Spoon part of the juice from the strawberries onto the bottom layer of the cake, then spoon on some of the strawberries.
- Cover the strawberries with a thick layer of the whipped topping. Repeat with the second layer.
- Cover the top of the cake with a thick layer of the topping. You will have extra strawberry mixture to serve alongside the cake.
- Quarter the reserved fresh strawberries and arrange attractively on top of the cake.
Place the remaining juicy, sweet strawberries in a dish to be
drizzled on the cake.
- Make sure the pound cake is thawed ahead of time.
- You can also make the whipped cream ahead of time; just store it, well covered, in the fridge.
- Cornstarch in the confectioners’ sugar helps stabilize the cream so it will keep its peak for a few hours.
- You also can make this wonderful dessert with raspberries and blueberries. In fact, that would make the recipe more patriotic-looking!
- Just make sure that you use the best fruits you can find in the supermarket. The berries should be plump and firm and shiny, with no soft spots.
Can you make a shortcake with other fruits?
This is a dessert that can also be
adapted to fruits other than strawberries. How about:
- Strawberry Rhubarb
different types of strawberry shortcake
There are so many versions of strawberry shortcake. But it is simply sliced, sweetened strawberries layered over some type of cake and served with sweetened whipped cream. Besides this strawberry shortcake with pound cake, some of the creations are:
Angel Food cake