Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth. Soups are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two; however, soups generally have more liquid (broth) than stews.
INSTANT POT VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP
This instant pot vegetable beef soup is the perfect healthy soup recipe! This one pot meal is packed with savory flavor and is ready in 30 minutes!
When I think of a warm and comforting meal, I think of soup! This vegetable beef soup is quick, easy and so full of flavor. Plus, it is mega healthy! Packed with a variety of vegetables and beef
Best of all, throw it all in your instant pot and BOOM, you have a delicious dinner ready to do. If you love the instant pot, you will love this Instant Pot Tri Tip for a mouth watering dinner. If you want a lean and healthy burger option, you will love these Elk Burgers
Instant Pot vegetable soup with beef is perfect to make ahead and eat all week if you are meal planning. It also freezes well so you can save it for when you need a quick meal! Just pop it in the microwave and it will still taste delicious.
You can even turn this soup into instant pot beef stew by omitting some of the beef broth and reducing some of the seasoning mix! It will reduce down and be even thicker. WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- This recipe is a super easy one pot meal that only takes 30 minutes and you have a delicious dinner on the table!
- Super healthy dinner or lunch option. No oil required! Delicious all year round and even when you are looking to eat on the lighter side. Light in fat and calories but definitely not light on flavor! And speaking of healthy, be sure to check out my Healthy Cake Popsand refreshing and vibrant Dragon Fruit Drink.
- This instant pot vegetable beef soup is a super flexible recipe. You can use many different kinds of beef in this recipe and they all turn out excellent. You can also substitute different vegetables based on your taste preferences.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP
Beef: This recipe is super flexible and works with most any cut of beef. To name a few: top round, bottom round, chuck roast, chuck eye, London broil, stew meat, sirloin tip, eye of round and top sirloin.
- Beef Broth or Stock: The broth in a can or a box works well in this recipe. You can also use Better than Bouillonor bouillon cubes and make your own broth. Better than Bouillon tends to have a really great beefy flavor.
- Au Jus Mix:McCormick Au Jus Gravy Mix is a good brand that you can find in most every grocery store. Many grocery stores also have a store brand which will work well too.
- Canned Diced Tomato: Diced tomato and petite diced canned tomatoes work well. If you would like to use fresh, that is fine as well.
- Onions: Sweet or yellow.
- Mushrooms: Sliced or you can buy whole and slice or chop them.
- Carrots: You can buy carrots and slices or chop them. You can also use baby carrots.
- Peas: Frozen, fresh or canned (although canned in not my favorite for peas as they tend to be mushy).
- Corn: Frozen, fresh or canned.
- Garlic: Minced or pressed with a garlic press. I can’t live without my garlic press!
- Barley: You can purchase uncooked pearled barley in most grocery stores, usually located in the rice aisle or bulk section.
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Chop/slice your vegetables.
- Cut your beef into ½ inch cubes.
- Set frozen peas and corn aside.
- In Instant Pot, combine remaining ingredients (beef, beef broth, au jus gravy mix, diced tomato, onion, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, barley, thyme, rosemary, Italian seasoning and black pepper).
- Stir to make sure no ingredients are sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once finished, press cancel and quick release remaining pressure.
- Stir in peas and corn. Enjoy!
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Potand set it to sauté.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper, then add to the hot pot. Cook until just browned, about 3-4 minutes.
one pound beef,1/2 teaspoon salt,1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
1 small onion,2 cloves garlic,1 cup carrots
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the frozen vegetables. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
8 ounces tomato sauce,4 cups beef stock,2 cups potatoes,1/2 teaspoon dried thyme,1/2 teaspoon dried basil,2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking, let it release naturally for about 20 minutes. Then, turn the valve to do a final quick release.
- Remove the lid and stir in the frozen vegetables.
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve with fresh, chopped parsley, if desired
Tips and Techniques
- Try to cut all of the vegetables roughly the same size so that they all cook evenly.
- Wait until the soup is done cooking before adding any additional salt and pepper.
- Store leftover soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 1292mg | Potassium: 1954mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 10228IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 6mg
This recipe was originally published on July 26, 2018. It was updated with more thorough instructions, tips, techniques, and FAQ’s in November 2019. New images and more detailed information was added in February 2022
What is Pressure cooker Beef Vegetable Soup?
This soup recipe has ground beef in it but is also packed with many delicious vegetables making it loaded with tons of great nutrients
Also, there is no chopping needed for this recipe! Your family will get to enjoy all the tastes of the vegetables without all the work.
Once you try this instant pot vegetable soup, I know it’ll be on your regular rotation this Fall and Winter.
What do you serve with instant pot vegetable beef soup?
This recipe is packed with tons of veggies and flavor. It’s perfect to pair with your favorite roll or cornbread making a complete meal for your family.
I love this quick and easy cornbread recipe from scratch. You’ll be surprised by how easy it is to make homemade cornbread and it taste better than any of the box mixes.
This soup recipe can also be served with easy homemade dinner rolls. These rolls are the best and will impress your entire family. I love soaking up this delicious soup with a fresh homemade roll. Yummy
What variations can be made to this instant pot vegetable soup with frozen vegetables?
Instant Pot Beef and Vegetable Soup is a great base recipe and I recommend that you make alterations to make this soup recipe work for your family.
If there is vegetable that your family does not like, leave it out. Also, you can easily make instant pot vegetable beef soup with potatoes by adding 3 diced up potatoes to the Instant Pot with the other ingredients.
In addition, you can add minced garlic or garlic powder to give this soup more of an Italian flavor or you can add some cayenne pepper if you prefer spicier soups. Either option would be delicious for this simple soup recipe!
How do you thicken vegetable beef soup?
Texture is super important in soups and stews, and luckily thickening this one is super easy.
You can create a slurry using 1 tsp of flour mixed with 1 tsp of cold water, and then stir this mixture into the soup. It’s important not to add the flour directly to the soup and create a slurry instead since the flour could end up clumping in the pot. Once you’ve added the slurry, turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and saute for a few minutes until thickened.
What the best cut of meat to use?
For most soups and stews, you’ll want to avoid those tender cuts of meat and opt for the chuck roast instead. The chuck roast a tough cut of beef that comes from the cow’s front shoulder, or “chuck”, and also happens to the least expensive cut of beef you can get. It works great in soups and stews because the beef will become tender while cooking without falling apart, which can be a real issue in soups
How do you make soup with the Soup setting on the Instant Pot?
If your Instant Pot has a soup setting, this is a great tool that allows you to pressure cook creamy soups without burning them. Simply use the soup setting for the amount of time that the recipe suggests. This setting is not necessary when cooking broth based soups, as these can cooked using the normal pressure cook setting
Thank you for staying with this post “” until the end.