Hi, welcome to solsarin site, in this post we want to talk about“white chicken chili recipe easy”,
thank you for choosing us.
white chicken chili recipe easy
To make this white chicken Chili recipe, you will need the following five ingredients:
- Chicken: Any kind of diced or shredded chicken will do. I typically shred a rotisserie or use leftover frozen chicken from my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Baked Chicken Breasts recipe.
- Salsa verde: Either homemade or store-bought, whichever you prefer. I will note that store-bought brands of roasted salsa verde can vary pretty dramatically in terms of heat. So if you prefer a milder soup, I would definitely recommend finding a salsa that is on the milder side.
- Beans: You are welcome to use whatever type of beans you love best for this chicken chili. I typically use white beans (such as Great Northerns), but pinto, garbanzo or black beans would be delicious too.
- Chicken stock: Because this ingredient list is so short, I recommend using a good-quality brand of chicken stock or veggie stock, whichever you prefer.
- Cumin: We will also add in a hint of cumin to the broth to helps round out the seasonings in the salsa verde.
- Toppings: Finally, I recommend using a generous amount of whatever toppings you love best! I almost always add cilantro and fresh avocado to my soup. But a crumble of tortilla chips, diced red or green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Monterrey Jack or a Mexican-blend), crumbled cotija cheese, and/or sliced jalapeños would also be delicious additions!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SOUP:
To make this 5-ingredient white chicken chili recipe, simply…
- Combine ingredients. Stir together chicken stock, shredded chicken, beans, salsa and cumin in large stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook on high heat until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer briefly for 5 minutes.
- Serve. Then ladle the soup up into serving bowls, garnished with your favorite toppings.
Easy White Chicken Chili
Chili is one of our best cold-weather strategies. We use chicken and white beans for a twist on the regular bowl of red. It’s soothing comfort food.
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Optional toppings: Reduced-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, cook chicken and onion over medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up chicken into crumbles.
- Pour 1 can of beans in a small bowl; mash slightly. Stir mashed beans, remaining can of beans, chiles, seasonings and broth into chicken mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, 12-15 minutes. Serve with toppings as desired.
How to Store & Freeze?
Let the chili cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
You can also freeze this chili which is SO nice. I love making a double batch so we can put some in the freezer for dinner emergencies.
Let the chili cool and place in a freezer container. Label, date, and freeze for up to three months. Defrost and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
Can I Make White Chicken Chili in a Crockpot?
Yes, this White Chicken Chili can also be made in a crockpot. To do so:
- Use 1 lb. raw chicken breasts and add them at the beginning with broth, spices, chilies.
- Finely mince the onions or saute first with garlic before adding to crockpot so they don’t end up crunchy.
- Cook on high 3 hours or low 5 – 6 hours (or until chicken is cooked through) then remove chicken, add softened light cream cheese and cook until melted.
- Stir in pureed bean mixture, beans, corn, shredded chicken, lime and cilantro. Heat through.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
This Creamy White Chicken Chili recipe will have you re-evaluating your loyalty to the traditional dish. Packed with shredded chicken, cannellini beans, green chiles, sour cream and pepper Jack cheese, each bowl is hearty, comforting and extra creamy—a perfect stick-to-your-ribs dish for cool nights. The best part, aside from its taste? It goes from stove to table in 30 minutes flat. Dinner doesn’t get easier (or more delicious) than Creamy White Chicken Chili.
- 1carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth
- 2cans (19 oz each) Progresso™ cannellini beans or 2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 2cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken
- 1can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 2cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (8 oz)
- 3/4cup sour cream
- In 4-quart saucepan, mix chicken broth, beans, chicken, chiles, cumin and pepper over medium heat.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually add cheese; stirring until melted. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream.
White Chicken Chili Recipe easy and quick
Add the canola oil to a large Dutch oven and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt, and pepper, to taste. Add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder and continue to saute for 1 more minute to toast the spices. Stir in the chicken stock, and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and continue to simmer for 20 more minutes.
After 20 minutes of simmering, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary. Stir in the shredded rotisserie chicken and cilantro and simmer until heated through, about 5 more minutes. Serve the chili in individual bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, and lime wedges.
What is the difference between white chili and regular chili?
Regular chili has a rich base of red chilies or chili powder and tomato, while white chili has green chilies. Please look at our Texas red chili and our favorite homemade chili with beans as examples of red chili. We use canned Hatch green chilies, white beans, and chicken in this chili recipe. It tastes quite different from red chili but is just as delicious!
Can I make this vegetarian?
Absolutely! Just omit the chicken and maybe sub in a can of some other bean such as pinto or chick peas to round out the chili.
How to thicken white bean chicken chili?
We thicken this creamy chicken chili with two things: cream cheese and corn starch.
The cream cheese adds a wonderful richness without making this chili heavy. If you don’t have any, that’s fine! I’ll share some other things you can add in the next section.
The corn starch is optional, but we love our chili super thick and creamy, so we like to add it. If you skip the corn starch, it will still be perfectly creamy but not quite as thick.
Another way to thicken white chicken chili if you don’t have cream cheese or corn starch, is to keep some of the white beans aside, and puree them in a blender before adding into the chili. This is a great way to make this chili dairy free!
How to Make White Chicken Chili on the Stovetop?
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook onions and garlic in a large pot.
- Add in chicken, broth, beans, chilis, and seasonings. Boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Spoon the white chili into bowls, and top with preferred toppings.
How to make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili?
You can easily make this Chicken Chili in the crockpot to make it even easier to fit in your day!
I do things a little differently when I make this chicken chili in the slow cooker, simply because if I’m using my slow cooker I don’t want to be babysitting it all day. I throw everything in the pot and let the chicken cook with everything else, then shred it later.
- Throw everything in the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and falling apart.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred, then stir back into the chili.
White Chicken Chili
This White Chicken Chili is hearty, warming, creamy and perfectly comforting. It’s a great alternative to traditional beef chili and makes a simple, yet completely delicious dinner! Makes about 8 cups.
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 (8 oz) pkg Neufchatel cheese (aka light cream cheese), cut into small cubes
- 1 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie or left-over chicken*
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- Tortilla chips or strips, monterrey jack cheese, sliced avocado for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 4 minutes minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans in a fine mesh strainer or colander then measure out 1 cup. Set whole beans aside, transfer 1 cup beans to a food processor along with 1/4 cup broth from soup, puree until nearly smooth.
- Add Neufchatel cheese to soup along with corn, whole beans and pureed beans and stir well. Simmer 5 – 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in chicken, fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with Monterrey Jack cheese, more cilantro, avocado slices and tortilla chips if desired.