what type of software is adobe acrobat
Hello, welcome to solsarin. This post is about “what type of software is adobe acrobat“.
Adobe Acrobat is a family of application software and Web services developed by Adobe Inc. to view, create, manipulate, print and manage Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
The family comprises Acrobat Reader (formerly Reader), Acrobat (formerly Exchange) and Acrobat.com. The basic Acrobat Reader, available for several desktop and mobile platforms, is freeware; it supports viewing, printing and annotating of PDF files.
Additional, “Premium”, services are available on paid subscription. The commercial proprietary Acrobat, available for Microsoft Windows and macOS only, can also create, edit, convert, digitally sign, encrypt, export and publish PDF files. Acrobat.com complements the family with a variety of enterprise content management and file hosting services.
What is Adobe Acrobat that you may be wondering? Adobe Acrobat is one of the PDF applications that was pioneered by Adobe systems. This software allows you to view PDFs offline and online. It also allows you to create, edit, manage, and print PDF files with ease. In this article, I will give you a full explanation of what is Adobe Acrobat.
Adobe Acrobat Alternative – A Better Solution with Cheaper Price
Although Adobe Acrobat applications are great PDF tools, they are costly. If you are working on a tight budget and you want an all in one tool that can create, edit, annotate, convert and print PDF files then download PDFelement.
In addition, PDFelement has a user-friendly interface that requires no expertise. It is also convenient and boasts of great performance. Now let’s discuss the features of this mind-blowing software.
- It enables you to create PDFs from different sources like: multiple existing PDF files, blank documents, Images, HTML, window captures and screen captures.
- Adobe Acrobat can manipulate your PDF files into Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Rich Text, plain texts, HTML, EPUB, and Images (PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, and BMP).
- It allows you to add modify texts, images, objects, adjusts pages, highlight, annotates, and add markups, bates numbering, watermarks, and many more.
- Adobe Acrobat is integrated OCR functionality that makes imaged based files readable, editable, and searchable.
- You will be able to fill out PDF forms by adding texts and signatures as well as creating interactive PDF forms.
What is Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is a useful PDF software that you need to install on your device. But first is this software compatible with your computer or phone. Adobe Acrobat is a cross-platform that supports Windows, Mac, Linux, Android phones, and Windows phones. This makes it possible to view and manage PDF files on your phone as well as PC. To be precise it supports Windows: 10, 8, 7, XP, and Server. For Mac, it supports macOS X 10.6, 10,7, 10,8, 10,9, 10,10.
History of Adobe Acrobat Versions
Adobe Acrobat was first released in 1993 as Adobe Acrobat Reader 1.0, this software was quite affordable at $50. Although this software could create PDFs and it made texts searchable, there was a complaint that it was slow in its performance.
Despite the improvements, the users also criticized the software was not that good and they said it was still slow and its plug-ins were irresponsible. To improve the quality and performance of the software, Adobe systems upgraded it to Adobe Acrobat XI in 2012. It incorporated features such as editing, a friendly user interface, and compatibility issues. From there, they upgraded from Acrobat Standard to Acrobat Pro and now Acrobat Suite. To get a full guide and developments we need to compare these versions in a table.
What Does Adobe Acrobat Mean?
Adobe Acrobat is a family of application software that allows the viewing, printing and management of portable document files (PDF).
Techopedia Explains Adobe Acrobat
Ever since its first release, Acrobat has become a foundation for workflow in the publication industry. Adobe Acrobat is used in a variety of fields including educational, administrative services, business and IT documentation. It is extensively used in producing applications, registration forms, survey forms, user guides and manual, and lessons.
An interesting feature of Adobe PDF documents is that they maintain all the fonts, graphics, images color and formatting of any source document, irrespective of the platform or the application used in creating it.
Where To Get It:
- ITS Labs
- The software is also available in the Monarch Virtual Environment.
- Students and teachers:
- You can purchase a Creative Cloud monthly subscription at https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html.
- Acrobat Professional and other Adobe software are available at academic discounts at online stores like Academic Superstore, JourneyEd, Studica, etc.
- Anyone whose job requires the use of Acrobat Pro will need to request a user-assigned license that will be associated with your MIDAS ID and password. (Please note, if you have a Creative Cloud license, Acrobat Pro is included. You do not need to request a separate license.)
- Once you’ve been granted a license, you can download the software on up to two computers.
- Download Acrobat Pro on your ODU-managed computers from the Ivanti Portal Manager (Windows) or Jamf Self Service (Mac).
- More information.
- Mac OS X
This Software is Available for Use in the Following Labs
Melville Library – Central Reading Room
– The Central Reading Room has 46 available Windows PC’s, 4 available printers with Pharos Release Stations supported by DoIT.
– Reading Room schedules reflect only DoIT student assistants & printer availability
– Printers close down 30 minutes earlier than the Library schedule
Melville Library – North Reading Room
The Melville Library – North Reading Room has 42 available Windows PC’s, 3 available Pharos Release Stations and 2 Scanners, supported by DoIT.
Melville Library SINC Site
– The Main Library SINC Site Has 105 Available Windows PCs With 6 Available Scanners, 20 Available IMacs With 2 Scanners.
– There Are 4 Available Printers With A Pharos Release Station.
– Plus 5 Available Windows Walk-Up PC’s With Direct Printing And 1 Walk-Up Mac Printing Station.
– A Consultant Is Always Available To Assist With Technical And Printing Issues.
Sports Complex SINC Site
The Sports Complex SINC Site (Goldstein Center) has 24 Windows PC’s and one printer with a Pharos release station.
The main function of Adobe Acrobat is creating, viewing, and editing PDF documents. It can import popular document and image formats and save them as PDF. It’s also possible to import a scanner’s output, a website, or the contents of the Windows clipboard.
In other words, Adobe Acrobat is able to modify the contents of paragraphs and images, but doing so does not repaginate the whole document to accommodate for a longer or shorter document.
Acrobat can crop PDF pages, change their order, manipulate hyperlinks, digitally sign a PDF file, add comments, redact certain parts of the PDF file, and ensure its adherence to such standards as PDF/A.
Internationalization and localization
Adobe Acrobat is available in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian. Arabic and Hebrew versions are available from WinSoft International, Adobe Systems’ internationalization and localization partner.
These versions include special TouchUp properties to manage digits, ligatures option and paragraph direction in right-to-left Middle Eastern scripts such as Arabic, Hebrew, and Persian, as well as standard left-to-right Indian scripts such as Devanagari and Gujarati.
The Web Capture feature can convert single web pages or entire web sites into PDF files, while preserving the content’s original text encoding. Acrobat can also copy Arabic and Hebrew text to the system clipboard in its original encoding; if the target application is also compatible with the text encoding, then the text will appear in the correct script.
A comprehensive list of security bulletins for most Adobe products and related versions is published on their Security bulletins and advisories page and in other related venues. In particular, the detailed history of security updates for all versions of Adobe Acrobat has been made public.
Adobe applications had already become the most popular client-software targets for attackers during the last quarter of 2009. McAfee predicted that Adobe software, especially Reader and Flash, would be the primary target for software attacks in the year 2010.
September 2006 warning
February 2009 warning
February 2013 warning
Adobe has identified critical vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe recommended users update their product installations.
January 2016 warning
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader for Windows and Macintosh. These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Thank you for staying with this post “what type of software is adobe acrobat” until the end.