The carrot (Daucus carota subsp. sativus) is a root vegetable, typically orange in color, though purple, black, red, white, and yellow cultivars exist, all of which are domesticated forms of the wild carrot, Daucus carota, native to Europe and Southwestern Asia. The plant probably originated in Persia and was originally cultivated for its leaves and seeds. The most commonly eaten part of the plant is the taproot, although the stems and leaves are also eaten. The domestic carrot has been selectively bred for its enlarged, more palatable, less woody-textured taproot.
Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into equal size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, carrots and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, adding more if necessary to lightly coat, sprinkle with the seasonings and salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread into an even layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. Vegetables should be soft and lightly browned when done.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 19513IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
In fact, I love roasted veg like these Roasted Potatoes and Carrots so much, I dedicated a special feature in my cookbook to them! (The book is coming next spring; you can sign up to receive free email updates with my latest blog posts and info about its release here.)
- ▢3cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced 1″
- ▢3large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢¼ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ▢⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ▢1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- ▢1 tablespoon butter
- Toss all ingredients except butter in a bowl.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Place into preheated air fryer. Cook 10 minutes.
- Shake basket and cook an additional 4-7 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
- Toss with butter and serve
For sweeter veggies, add a little bit of extra brown sugar with the butter when tossing.
For a more savory side, skip the brown sugar and cinnamon and opt for salt & pepper with thyme. Or toss fresh dill with the butter after cooking.
To roast in the oven, prepare as directed. Bake on a parchment-lined pan at 400°F for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 111 | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 339mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 15507IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Parsnips and Carrots
- ▢1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ▢2 large onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- ▢1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ▢10 to 12 ounces parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ▢3 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢3 tablespoons olive oil
- ▢1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ▢1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ▢½ teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Line a 15×10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cubed sweet potatoes, onion wedges, carrot pieces, parsnips, and garlic.
- Add olive oil and season with italian seasoning, seasoned salt, and black pepper; toss until everything is well combined.
- Transfer vegetables to the prepared pan.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and browned, stirring the veggies half way through cooking.
- Remove from oven and let stand few minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper; adjust accordingly.
Should I peel sweet potatoes before roasting?
As long as you give sweet potatoes a good wash, you do not need to peel them before roasting. In fact, unpeeled sweet potaotes are delicious because the outer skin browns and becomes crispy when baked. However, if you don’t like the peels it is perfectly fine to peel sweet potatoes before roasting.
How should I cut carrots before roasting?
Carrots can be roasted whole, cut longways (or lengthwise) into halves or quarters, or cut along the length of a carrot into rounds or thicker 2-3 inch (5-7 cm) long pieces. For this recipe we recommend slicing carrots into 1/4 inch (about 0.5 cm) slices to match the size of the sweet potato cubes.
How should I cut sweet potatoes before roasting?
Sweet potatoes can be roasted whole, cut into rounds (or medallions), cut into strips for baked sweet potato fries, cut into halves or quarters, or cut into cubes of any size. For this recipe we are roasting sweet potatoes with carrots, so we cut both vegetables into the size size cubes, or squares, so they are easier to eat together.
Should I peel carrots before roasting?
As long as you wash carrots well, you do not need to peel them before roasting. In fact, unpeeled carrots are delicious because the outer layer browns when baked and provides deeper flavor through a process called the maillard reaction when the natural sugar in carrots is heated.
large sweet potatoes (about 1 1⁄2 pounds), peeled and ends removed, cut into 1⁄4-inch-by- 3-inch batonnets
medium carrots (about 1 pound), quartered lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
large onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch- thick slices
large garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
freshly ground black pepper
Savory Roasted Pecans (recipe follows)
Savory Roasted Pecans
Freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
Here’s a Tip:
Most supermarkets and gourmet shops sell already pre-cut vegetables, making it easier for everyone to make this dish by eliminating much of the prep work. Which for many of us that have busy lives, becomes a lifesaver!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic. In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, butter, oil, salt, and all spices. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a roasting pan and roast until a knife easily pierces the thickest pieces, 35 to 45 minutes. Increase oven to broil and cook until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Top with mint and Savory Roasted Pecansbefore serving.
- To make the pecans:Preheat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, sweet paprika, and ground cumin; set aside. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add pecans and toss to coat. Add reserved spices and toss to coat. Spread nuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes.
moroccan spiced roasted sweet potatoes and carrots
We eat roasted vegetables four to five nights a week at home. Whether I’m cooking classic Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Parmesan or sweet Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash, my favorite roasted vegetables are tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and so tantalizingly caramelized, my signature move is to eat one-third of the pan before the vegetables ever make it to our plates.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of red pepper for extra spice (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 pound carrots, sliced in half and into thick strips
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick strips
- ¼ cup/ black Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- one small lemon or half a large
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt the coconut oil and whisk in the salt, spices and garlic.
- Toss the carrots and sweet potatoes with oil and spices and roast in a parchment-lined baking pan in lower third of oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
- Squeeze the lemon over the warm vegetables and toss with the chopped olives.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve warm
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 177TOTAL FAT: 6gSATURATED FAT: 4gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 2gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 484mgCARBOHYDRATES: 30gFIBER: 6gSUGAR: 13gPROTEIN: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 3-quart baking dish, toss together sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, walnuts, honey, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Top with thyme sprigs and roast until vegetables are browned at edges and tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
Thank you for staying with this post “roasted sweet potatoes and carrots” until the end.