Hi, welcome to solsarin site, in this post we want to talk about“chicken stroganoff slow cooker”,
stay with us.
chicken stroganoff slow cooker
Stroganoff is one of the best recipes to make in a slow cooker-you literally just put everything in the pot and leave it. It can take 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low and you just stir in the sour cream at the end. This version uses sweet paprika, stock, brandy or white wine, tomato paste, mustard and herbs. The result is a gorgeously rich but nuanced sauce that will ward off any winter blues.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts
- 1 x 300g pack closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 1 x 294g can condensed chicken soup
- 150ml chicken stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 100ml soured cream
- 15g (1/2oz) chives, snipped
- tagliatelle, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and then the onion. Cook for 5 mins or until both are browned, turning the chicken once, and stirring the onions frequently.
- Transfer the chicken and onion to the slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, condensed soup, chicken stock, paprika and soured cream. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients and to coat the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5–6 hours until the meat is cooked through with no pink showing. Scatter over the chives and serve with tagliatelle, if you like.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken with herbs soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place chicken, soup and wine in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until a thermometer inserted into chicken reads at least 165°, about 3 hours. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces; return to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms. Cook, covered, on high until mushrooms are tender, 1-1/2-2 hours longer. Stir in sour cream and salt. Serve with egg noodles; sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, parsley.
1-1/3 cups: 447 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 8 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 10 ½ ounce cream of chicken soup
- 1 envelope 1 ¼ ounce dry onion soup mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 1 pound large egg noodles for serving
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a lightly greased [url:1]slow cooker[/url]. Add the mushrooms. In a [url:2]medium sized bowl[/url] add cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, and dry onion soup mix. Mix until incorporated and spread on top of chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-Serve over noodles and top with fresh parsley and salt and pepper.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Slow Cooker
Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish where the sauce is enriched with sour cream (smetana). Some say that it was invented by a French chef Charles Brière who submitted to a recipe competition in 1891 where it was named after his employer Count Pavel Stroganoff. Larousse Gastronomique, the encyclopedia of French cooking named him as the inventor but others point out that it was an adaption of an already known Russian recipe called Govjadina po-strogonovski, s gorchitseju that featured in a classic Russian cookbook “A Gift to Young Housewives” by Elena Molokhovets.
The only difference is that there were no onions or mushrooms in this dish. Nowadays there are versions of stroganoff all over the world tailored to each country’s specific likes – in Japan it is served over rice, in Finland they used diced pickles and in Australia it is served with rice or egg noodles while it is served with the latter in North America. It is usually made with beef but in this case I use chicken just for a lighter option.
Serves: 4-6 people
- 500g/1.1lbs chicken thighs, cut into chunks or strips, seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup/125ml/4flozs. chicken stock
- 1/2 cup/125ml/4flozs. white wine or brandy (can sub with chicken stock)
- 500g/1.1lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 300g/10.6ozs sour cream
- 3 teaspoons cornflour mixed 3 teaspoons cold water
- Fresh parsley to serve
- 500g/1.1lbs pappardelle egg pasta
- Salt and pepper to season
Slow cooker directions
Place the chicken, onion, garlic, chicken stock, wine, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, mustard and bay leaf in the slow cooker and set to 4 hours on high. It will seem like there isn’t enough liquid but the mushrooms also release some liquid. After the time is up, add the sour cream and cook for another 30 minutes and season with salt and pepper. If you would like this thickened further, mix in the cornflour mixture to thicken up the sauce. Serve with pappardelle pasta.
Chicken Stroganoff Serving Ideas
Below are some ideas on how you can serve this delicious chicken stroganoff. If you have any ideas, be sure to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
I love to serve stroganoff with some freshly cooked pasta. Almost any type of pasta will work nicely, so pick your favorite type, for example, penne, linguine, fettuccine, or even macaroni. There are so many options to pick from.
Another easy side dish is some steamed rice cooked in a rice cooker. If you want to be a little healthier, you can try making some cauliflower rice instead. Both options are excellent.
There are lots more options when it comes to side dishes. The stroganoff sauce will also go great with mashed potatoes, noodles, or even vegetable pasta. Feel free to get a little creative.
- Chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs. Both will work fine, it just comes down to personal preference.
- You can reduce the cooking time by half by turning the slow cooker to the high setting. However, I recommend cooking on the low setting if possible.
- Cooking the pasta in the slow cooker will require you not to add the cornstarch. The starch from the pasta will thicken the sauce up more than enough.
- You can add some green vegetables if you wish to do so, just make sure this is done towards the end of cooking since most greens will only need fifteen to thirty minutes of cooking.
Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe with boneless skinless chicken breast. An easy 4 ingredient, healthy dinner. 3 WW Freestyle Points and 7 Smart Points.
- 1 lb frozen boneless skinless breast chicken uncooked
- 16 ozs sour cream – non-fat
- 1 oz Lipton’s onion soup mix
- 10¾ oz canned 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- Add frozen chicken to slow cooker.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add sour cream, onion soup mix, and cream of chicken soup. Mix well. Pour mixture over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Put slow cooker on low setting, cover and cook for approx 7 hours.
Healthier Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
Cubed chicken breast cooked in the slow cooker with a creamy sauce mixture. This healthier version includes peas, low-fat cream cheese, butter instead of margarine, and natural cream of chicken soup. You also make your own seasoning mix instead of using a packaged mix. Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles, if desired.
What is stroganoff?
In America, stroganoff is a sauce generally made with mushrooms and sour cream. We’ve made ours extra creamy by adding in cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup as well as seasoning it heavily with Italian dressing mix.
How to store stroganoff?
This dish will last well in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Tips to make the best Slow Cooker chicken stroganoff:
1. Use chicken thighs. Chicken thighs have more fat than chicken breasts which makes them more flavorful and they won’t dry out in your slow cooker the way that chicken breasts will.
2. Cook low and slow. Like most meats in the slow cooker, cooking at a lower temperature for a longer period of time results in juicier, tender meat. If you have the time, opt to cook it for the longer time recommendation on low heat.
3. Garnish with fresh herbs. Nothing finishes off a dish like fresh herbs. Garnish your stroganoff with some fresh parsley before serving to really make this dish incredible.